I consider myself a lay connoisseur of sorts. This being the only alcoholic beverage made from a plant and gluten-free as a pescatarian this really works for me, seems kinda healthy, no? Anywho, the more I've learned about my favorite drink the more I'm excited to try new and upcoming brands and hear the history behind them as well as share what I've learned. And believe me tequila has quite a history... http://www.earthbar.org/magazine/tequilahistory.htm
If you like tequila or even love it, here's a little info that hopefully will give you insight as to how diverse this unique spirit can be. Try one the many different brands and types and you may find one that's just right for you.
TEQUILA TYPE INFO:
Tequila is usually bottled in one of five categories:
- Blanco ("white") or plata ("silver"): white spirit, un-aged and bottled or stored immediately after distillation, or aged less than two months in stainless steel or neutral oak barrels;
- Joven ("young") or oro ("gold"): usually a mixto (rarely 100% agave) with added coloring.
- Reposado ("rested"): aged a minimum of two months, but less than a year in oak barrels of any size;
- Añejo ("aged" or "vintage"): aged a minimum of one year, but less than three years in small oak barrels;
- Extra Añejo ("extra aged" or "ultra aged"): aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels. This category was established in March 2006.
Based on your personal preference for the tequila of your choice there are different pairings with complimentary liqueurs fruit, herbs, food, etc. that can make your culinary experience one to remember. Las Vegas boasts many chef inspired restaurants that specialize in regional Mexican and Tex-Mex fare that give you an opportunity to explore the many brands new and vintage along with excellent food. Some of my favorites are; LINDO MICHOACAN http://lindomichoacan.com/laloma.htm (My personal favorite of 16 years and I love the La Loma location nestled in the Black Hills of Henderson overlooking the entire Vegas Valley. Great place to hold an evet, just sayin'.) ; MUNDO http://mundolasvegas.com/ (The owner of this chic Mexican cuisine establishment also has his own brand of ALIEN TEQUILA); NACHO DADDY http://www.nachodaddy.com/ (Tex-Mex with a great tequila bar and awesome mixologists. Try Tequila Tuesdays 2 for 1) ; MESA GRILL http://www.mesagrill.com/las-vegas-restaurant/ (Master chef Bobby Flay's spot does things with chilies that I can't even mention here, friggin' awesome for those that like it hot!)
Do you have a positive tequila experience? We'd love to hear from you.
WARNING: Always respect this spirit as with all spirits and anyone that has ever lived through the dreaded next day tequila-revenge-hangover either never touches it again or has an enormous respect for this world's most unique libation. Also, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!